The Ellis County Art Association was organized in January, 1958. From the time of its first president, Elizabeth O’Donnell, the organization has grown from 22 to approximately 100 members today. After meeting in member’s homes for many years, the Association was able to purchase a more permanent building at 501 W. Main St., in Waxahachie, Texas. This was made possible through the wonderful Association leadership and the generous donations from art patrons. The building mortgage was finally paid off through a generous art benefactor, who was a Dallas resident named Howell Hight and his daughter. After nearly 4 decades of operating in this historic building, the Board chose to sell the building in 2014 and relocate to the South side of the Ellis County Courthouse square at 113 W. Franklin St., in Waxahachie, Texas. This move allowed the Association to have both a classroom and meeting room space for business meetings and demonstrations for the public by guest artists. The Association was also able to use a portion of this new space to create a subsidiary company called Art on the Square, LLC, for a retail gallery.
The Gallery at 113 W Franklin: The Gallery at 113 W Franklin remained open until the last days of September 2023. However, the increasing cost of rent and maintaining the site eventually outweighed our deep attachment to it. Consequently, the Board made the decision to adopt a mobile approach to our mission. This shift allows us to be more cost-effective and provides opportunities to reach a broader audience through our future pop-up events.
Like we always have, we are a benefit to local artist through our educational opportunities, social event, and youth scholarships.